The opposition Congress in Meghalaya today decided to launch a state wide movement from Saturday against the NPP-led government’s proposal to introduce work permit for Bangladeshis saying it would not allow the idea to be implemented at any cost.

Leader of opposition Mukul Sagma said, from Saturday onwards the party will launch protests in Shillong and Mendipathar to oppose the proposal to issue work permits to Bangladeshis.

Mukul Sangma said he and his party were not convinced with chief minister Conrad Sangma’s argument that the work permit idea can be used as a mechanism to deal with the problem of illegal migration and that it will facilitate in keeping track of foreigners engaged in trade and commerce as and when such activities get a boost with the government’s act east and look south policies.

The Congress leader also expressed surprise that the idea will help in economic growth of the people of the state. Earlier in the day, the opposition members also staged a walkout from the Assembly over the issue.

Conrad’s proposal to External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj had earlier drawn flak from various quarters with students boides from within Meghalaya and even Assam opposing the move. The move also did not find many takers in political circles. The Meghalaya chief minister had clarified that the idea was mooted to tackle illegal migration and that it was one of the several proposals put forward by him.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here